Pages

Tuesday

The Doppelganger Coincidence

Punta Brava, TeneriffeThis is a strange experience I had while on a holiday to the Canary Islands. I saw a double of my best friend who died a couple of years back - a doppelgänger I suppose.

My wife and I were in our hotel about to have our evening meal when in walked the double of my friend - someone I had known for over 30 years.

My wife and I looked at each other and both said, "Doesn't he look like Colin."

To be honest it felt very unsettling when this man sat down on his own quite near our table. In a way I wanted to find an excuse to talk to him but then I felt I shouldn't. I couldn't, however, stop looking at him.

When the waiter came over to the man it was if I was dreaming. Colin had a habit of putting two fingers of his right hand in his top pocket when he was slightly nervy. This is exactly what this duplicate did as he placed his order for a drink.

After a few days the double went away. I almost felt relieved. Then, as we were at Tenerife airport to fly back to England, there he was waiting for the same flight as us. This particular flight was heading for Bristol where Colin was born - an airport we don't normally return to when returning home.

Very strange.

As I understand it seeing a doppelgänger is okay as long as it isn't of our self. If this should occur it is supposedly bad luck or even an omen of death.

Further Reading:
The Advantage Of Being Mistaken For Someone Else

5 comments:

  1. He wouldn't have been an adopted twin by any chance?
    I remember when I was a boy there were two twins that used to play together,but they had been adopted out to two different families.Yet they somehow found each other and became friends,but they didn't know they were brothers.
    They weren't identical twins of course,but maybe you friend was adopted out at birth and an identical twin that got adopted out to another family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having known him for 30+ years he was an only child - his father died just after he was born. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a twin - otherwise an interesting theory.

      Delete
  2. I remember the post you did on this. Very puzzling. I've always wondered if doppelgangers are probable selves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Mike, I am Tana.

    ReplyDelete